Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tree Rings LinkedIn Profile


Why are you special?
I am special because I help to provide history about the landscapes that I reside in.  I can do this regardless of the influencing factors such as weather and temperature.

What special skills and characteristics do you have?
            I grow a new layer, or ring, each year.  It allows me to keep track of how old I am and how good or bad that specific year has been to me.  When I have had a good year, with ample amount of water and sunlight I will have a wider ring.  When it is a bad year though, such as drought, I will have a thinner ring.

Your ideal challenge where you can excel?
A challenge that I can excel in is giving information on past years.  Because I grow a new ring every year you can see how old I am and be able to count back to a specific date.  When you do this you can look at that ring of growth and see how the world treated me at that time.

Where do you like to work?
            I like to work in forested areas.  These areas, though, need to have a distinct change in seasons, or temperature variation throughout the year, that way you can really see how the area is changing climate wise.  If I’m in a tropical area where it is always warm my rings will be pretty consistent and you won’t be able to see if any changes took place.  If I’m somewhere like a New England forest though you will definitely be able to see the changes throughout the different years.

Information was gathered from:
Climate Change class with Dr. Carsten Braun, WSU 2013 as well as:
NOAA. "Paleoclimate Data." National Climate Data Center. NCDC, n.d. Web. 3 Mar. 2013.        <http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleoclimate-data>.
NOAA. "Tree Ring." National Climate Data Center. NCDC, 24 May 2012. Web. 3 May 2013. <http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/treering.html>.
Wiki. "Dendroclimatology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., 26 Feb. 2013. Web. 4 Mar. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendroclimatology>.
Wiki. "Proxy (climate) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., 27 Feb. 2013. Web. 4 Mar. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_(climate)#Tree)Rings>.

No comments:

Post a Comment